Friday, April 10, 2009

John Gast’s American Progress: Columbia stringing telegraph wires

I was reminded of this painting when I saw Ben’s posting of the macabre map. Here we have a vision of wires being strung not across the Atlantic but across the continent, in a clearly “civilizing” mission – hence the title, American Progress. The Native Americans and the buffalo and bears are on the run. What I think is interesting about this painting is that it’s not the railroad or the settlers with their guns that lead the westward expansion, but rather Columbia with her wires. The technological expansion goes hand in hand with economical expansion: on the lands taken over by the settlers we see hunting and farming activities. The spiritual aspect is covered as well I think, with Columbia herself looking like a guarding angel or the soul of the enterprise, bringing to mind Whitman’s “O my brave soul! / O farther, farther sail!” Or in this case, float.

No comments:

Post a Comment